Friday, February 13, 2009

FIX IT FRIDAY! :)

This is my Pic For the iHeartFaces before and after (See bottom for how I did it).







Here is the BEFORE

And

Here is the AFTER
















And..


















I use PhotoShop 7. The steps I used are:
(First Pic)
  • Dodged the eyes
  • Took the eyedropper and color matched the darkest part of the outside of the eye and filled in the spots that were not as dark to help the eyes stand out.
  • I then used the magic wand and selected the eyes and hit sharpen more under filter once.
  • I then used the magic wand and selected the eyes and the background and the blue on the shirt.
  • I went to "Select" and choose inverse
  • I then went to "Image" and choose hue/saturation and desaturated to black and white (this kept the color where I picked with the magic wand and turned everything else black and white).
  • I then added a layer by hitting the "alt" key and add new layer on the layers tool box.
  • Under that it pulls up another menu and I choose overlay and checked the box fill with overlay...etc
  • I then choose the eyedropper again and picked a lighter shade of blue on the picture.
  • I then choose the paint brush and put the opacity to 50% or higher.
  • I then made the brush a large circle and went over the parts of the black and white that I wanted to add a little blue to..i.e. in the top right hand corner.
  • Then I put the opacity to 15% and made the brush small and went over the eyes with a light blue from the eyes using the eye dropper again.
  • To get the color back in the checks and lips I put the opacity to 10-15% and the flow down to around 9% and picked out a pink and went over the areas of the face I wanted to add color to.
  • I then flattened the layers and took the blur tool and blurred the edges of the background that were a little rough with the black and white.
  • Then saved it! :)
The Second one was the same steps except leaving the eyes on the magic wand only, then inverse, and add the layer and then add color to the background and the face and hair.

5 comments:

  1. Excellent explanations on the changes you made. I love how you kept some color in the background, eyes and lips on the first one. It reminds me of the old timey prints where some colors were selectively added. Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look great... you did a great job with color dodge... AlSO... saw the name of your blog and made me laugh, you should check out mine! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the first edit with his blue eyes popping out. Wonderful!

    ~Angie
    co-founder of I ♥ Faces

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing this. I am going to bookmark it and refer to it as soon as I get Photoshop!

    ReplyDelete